Thursday, June 17, 2010

Smörgåsbord

As the title suggests, this blog entry will be an array of different thoughts. Unfortunately, I cannot guarantee the thoughts will come out in an organized fashion-- and since my mind has been working in overdrive in a scattered fashion, I can't expect much more from myself at this time. That being said, hold on for the ride!

FAMILY
Dan and I traveled down to NJ last week for about four days after Dan's best friend's mother (Trish) lost her battle with cancer.  Since Trish had touched the lives of so many, many people were impacted by her death. While Dan and I were upset, we toughed it out for his friend and the family. We donated her clothes and medical supples, cleared space in the house, set up for the get-together at the house afterward, and just provided support as much as we could.  Death is never an easy part of life to cope with, but it's nice knowing you have close friends you can rely on during those tough times.  Helping was the least we could do.

While we were down in NJ, we spent time with Dan's family.  We sat up "talking feelings" with Dan's mother one night, which can be tough to do with Dan who likes to hide his feelings, but we felt better and more informed afterward. We went to dinner with his family at Bertucci's, where we will now be having our rehearsal dinner since Buca di Beppo in Cherry Hill is closing suddenly. We even managed to fit time in to go to church and visit with his grandparents.  While I was off spending time with my friend, Dan visited with his Dad. All in all, we were able to visit with much of his family.

My father just had surgery today on neck.  From what I understand, he had an artificial disc placed in his back to remove pressure from his spinal cord or something.  It's just the first of a few surgeries he will need, but he is on his way to recovery already. Although doctors say it will be about a six month recovery period, he assures me that there is no need to change our father/daughter dance plans for the wedding in a few months.  I wish I could be with him as he goes through this :(


WORK
It never stops... seriously.  I'm there now and after I write this, I'm going to work on an assignment for my other job! I am like the freaking Energizer Bunny.  Unfortunately, it's starting to get to me, plus it's only irritated by PMS symptoms. Ha! But to give you a better idea of what I'm doing for each of my 2.5 jobs: I am keeping murders in jail despite their futile attempts to argue for their freedom; putting together an indictment for a large drug case while writing a legal memorandum for all state police in NH; and eating cheese, crackers, and grapes while I work the library circulation desk (I do the occasional computer support and book checkout stuff; don't get me wrong). I honestly don't have enough time in a day.

In future career news, when Dan and I were down in NJ, we met with his old law firm to discuss both of our futures.  Let's just say that I'm gathering my resume materials now for a job that I've got "in the bag." Gosh, it feels nice to know important people in high places. I can't wait until I can make an official announcement in September.  Stay tuned!

WEDDING
I haven't accomplished too much in the world of wedding planning. A couple of weekends ago, Dan and I ventured out to pick our his, my father's, and the groomsmen's tuxes. I like my choices, but I can't say it was a super easy decision. I wish Dan gave more feed back, but then again, I know he doesn't have the best fashion sense either. I had to tell him "no" to an all black ensemble (even down to the shirt). We need to buckle down and make more purchases, especially for decorations and the favors (candy buffet). I have to find time to do that... somewhere...



WEIGHT LOSS
So, I had hit a bit of a plateau with my weight loss, but I could see where I was going wrong. I was eating out, and while making healthy decisions, it was messing with my WW points totals since I didn't always have nutritional information for what I ate. Now, I'm trying to only eat food that I can find the nutritional information for, which will also curb our love for dining out. I've been cooking a lot of things from http://www.skinnytaste.com/.  Some of our favorites are the chicken enchiladas, chicken stuffed with broccoli and cheese, and the Chicken Francaise. The website is awesome; she even calculates the WW points for you! It's definitely worth checking out! This week I vowed to go to the gym every day I could manage. My work schedule can make things difficult, but I'm sick of excuses. I'm even going to hit the gym on Saturday mornings (and Sundays if I can manage to be ready in time for work). I also decided that I am going to participate in a 5k race that the NH Attorney General participates in each year (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/1/1_39/9894.shtml). It will be awesome to be part of such an important team, while also completing such a significant fitness benchmark for myself. I've never done something like it, but I am dying to try. I started following the Couch to 5K program that some friends turned me on to. I'll let you know how that goes. I haven't died yet ;)

Dan was griping over the cost of eating healthy while we were at the grocery store the other day and I eyed "fancy healthy food." My very quick response was that if he was going to complain about me eating right and bettering myself that I would leave him.  The moment after I uttered the words, I thought about where they came from.  I guess that although I sounded harsh, I really meant it.  I'm really doing this for myself.  Granted, it may seem as though I'm working hard to get into my wedding dress (and I am), but I am making lifestyle changes every day that will continue on even after the wedding.  And every pound I lose is a new accomplishment because it's the lightest I have ever weighed (not counting while I was a fetus... lol. You get my point).  I feel as though the excessive weight has distracted myself and others from who I am inside and the person I want to be perceived as. Make sense? I'm loving it. I'm slowing getting to the point where I can honestly believe that nothing tastes as good as "skinny" will feel, but I don't feel like I ever have to deprive myself. It's all about give and take. Next step in my weight loss milestones, indoor rock climbing! I've always wanted to try but I have been too scared of failing because I am too large and out of shape. Next raining day off, http://verticaldreams.com/ I'm doing it. I hope it's something that Dan and I can enjoy together.

1 comment: